Light, crisp, and absolutely delicious – Tomato sandwiches make the perfect afternoon snack.
- Slice each tomato to obtain 1-1/2 inch thick slices from the widest portion of the tomato, making sure to avoid the core.
- Spread 1 heaping tablespoon of mayonnaise on one-half of the tomato slices.
- Top each with an onion slice, arugula leaf, and a second slice of tomato.
- Dip each sandwich into the beaten egg mixture and then the breadcrumbs.
- Gently shake off any excess bread crumbs. Set sandwiches aside.
- In a large heavy saute pan, warm the butter and olive oil over medium heat.
- Slip each sandwich into the pan and fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Remove and serve immediately.
Photo Credit: Unsplash.com