Transport you and your guests to the Mediterranean seaside with this easy-to-make mussel dish.
- Scrub the mussels under cold running water, pulling off the “beards” with your hands.
- Put the water in a large pot, add the mussels, cover, and place on a burner with the heat turned off.
- Melt the button in a medium-sized saucepan. Add the onion and saute, stirring over medium heat for 2 minutes
- Stir in the garlic, saute for 30 seconds, then add the tomatoes
- Turn the burner under the mussels onto high.
- Cook the tomatoes for 2 minutes, then add the wine, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Quickly bring the tomatoes to a boil and boil for about 5 to 8 minutes, until the sauce is as thick as you like.
- Stir in the parsley and keep the sauce over very low heat. Meanwhile, steam the mussels for about 6 to 8 minutes, until they’ve opened. Discard any that don’t open.
- Arrange the mussels on serving plates. Spread the shells slightly, or break off the empty half, and spoon some of the sauce over each mussel. Serve at once.
Photo Credit: Freepix.com